Tag Archives: Electro35

A roll of 35mm

I had the day off so I made good use of the time and developed a roll of HP5 plus. It’s been sitting around since I ran it through the Electro35 I found on ebay. So far everything looks good, though I had a little trouble loading the film on the tank reel and consequently wrinkled the film somewhere along the way. This evening I scanned the roll, now just I need to do a look-over and some cleanup…

Updates…

Several things to bring up to date…

I got all the chemicals mixed up last weekend. Processed some 35mm HP5+ in D76. The temps were almost too warm, right at 75º. I was a bit nervous about that and about developing film myself after all these years, but everything worked nicely. I hung the negs up in the bathroom to dry and they turned out very nice. I still need to run my roll of 120 from the Yashica Mat 124…

I tried to save some money by putting my chems in some 1g plastic water jugs. In the process I learned that the screw caps aren’t that secure and the bottle bodies were a little too flimsy, so I ordered three more proper brown developer jugs from Calumet.

The scanner I ordered arrived in time to scan those negs I developed last weekend, but alas, there were problems. When I was all set up and scanning, I found a fiber or hair somewhere inside the optics was marring every single scan. It was very frustrating. And this is the second scanner I’ve purchased from Epson that had dust bits or spots on the inside of the glass platen. I tried to rectify the situation through the customer service website but that ended with me talking with a service person from a contractor… I opted to return the scanner instead. The replacement should be here by the fourth. Kudos to Amazon.com for making that process easy…

Which brings me to dust. I’ve almost come to terms with the fact that our home is a giant dust mop. I can’t seem to outrun the stuff. Scanning negatives means being very vigilant. Even moving to another room with no traffic and away from the dogs (the biggest factor!) only marginally helps. Another contributor is the very hot and dry conditions where we live. There’s just not enough humidity to keep the dust down. I think only a NASA style clean room would help. I wonder how difficult that would be to build?

I bought a Yashica Electro 35 GSN off of ebay and it arrived a couple weeks ago. Physically the camera looks to be in good shape, the shutter opens, etc. The battery compartment had a bit of acid leak inside. I cleaned that up with some white vinegar. There seems to be a bad electrical contact that will require some work to figure out. I’ll have to open it up to see what I can do. It may only be some bad contacts at the battery. There seems to be plenty of info on the internet about what to do.

At work, we’ve lost an assistant and we’re a week into interviews for a replacement. I’m still hoping to find someone with some production chops so I won’t be training them for two years. Almost everyone we’ve had do the job these last few years needed considerable training to get up to speed. Regardless, we have one last interview on monday and then we can make a decision.